Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday!

Dear Baby-

Yesterday I watched a very good Super Bowl where the New Orleans Saints defeated the Indianapolis Colts! It was such a good game! I thought about you a couple times during game and I can't wait until one day when we can get excited about watching the Super Bowl together. I love football and I hope one day you will share my love for the game also. Your mom had to work today so I went to your godfather's house. Oh by the way, your godfather's name is Mike and he loves you very much and he cannot wait to meet you. You will meet him soon enough. I just hope he doesn't spoil you too much, but I know that he will. I think everybody who knows you will because you are your mother and father's child and people love us. I'll tell you more about your godfather next time, but today I want to tell you something about our Super Bowl XLIV and why it is so important. I believe that no team in the NFL or the United States for that matter deserved and needed to win the championship as much as the New Orleans Saints. In August of 2005, New Orleans was hit by the most destructive hurricane the city or Americans have ever seen. Hurricane Katrina took so many lives and destroyed so many homes. It was a very sad time. The city is still hurting and still trying to bounce back from the hurricane. I hope that one day when you are older, you will be able to read about what happened to the people who were affected by Hurricane Katrina in your history books. The Saints winning the Super Bowl has boosted the city's spirit a hundred fold. You should have seen the news. There was so much partying and everybody was so happy to be from New Orleans. It gave me goose bumps! I believe that this win shows what the human spirit is made of. It has been such a dark time in the history of New Orleans but the spirit of the people persevered. Their spirit shined brightly through their football team. The Saints went to the Super Bowl for the first time ever in the history of the franchise and they won. They fought to come back from a 10-point deficit and they won. They fought to come back from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and they won. This should teach you something. No matter how dark things might seem, there will always be a glimmer of light, a glimmer of hope. Just keep fighting and keep moving forward and you too will win your own Super Bowl. I love you.

Until we meet,

DAD

3 comments:

Sir John of Harrington said...

Football and baseball are ways I connect with my father.

King of Hearts said...

This is actually kinda cute. You never hear much talk about men and their babies. Usually, it's just about how they want to make them. I think it would be funny if you're baby grew up to fall in love with something like cheerleading, or even worse, yoga. What an interesting twist.

DFlem said...

My best friend got a DUI on Super Bowl Sunday and when anyone talks about Super Bowl that is what I think about. Remember when the baby gets older to preach about being safe and not drinking and driving.