Saturday, February 20, 2010

I promise to support you

Dear Baby,

I was watching the Winter Olympics the other night and I thought about you and what kind of father I would like to be to you. I watched two amazing American athletes win gold medals: Lindsay Vonn winning the Women's Olympic Downhill Skiing and Shaun White winning the Men's Halfpipe event in Snowboarding. I thought to myself while I was watching, "Wow. How awesome is it for these two athletes to do something they love so much. They must have a great support system." I thought this because the cameras kept showing shots of the athletes' parents in the crowd looking so proud of their children.
I want you to know that whatever you decide to do in life, I promise to always support you. As long as you have the dedication and the passion to do it, I will always have your back. I think about when I was probably 12 or 13 years old; I just discovered what sports were and I loved playing football. A friend of mine got me to join a recreation league with him and I was hooked. I was good at it and I wanted to be in the NFL when I grew up. When I told my dad about my dream to play football he told me that I couldn't do it and I should have another dream. He said I would be too small to play football. His words crushed me. I realized later on in life that I was too small to play football professionally. But I wish that my dad had let me figure that out for myself instead of halting my dream before I could even pursue it. I wish he had supported me instead of telling me that I couldn't do something. I was too young to hear that and it hurt not to have his support. That is why I am promising you, whatever you want to do as long as you are dedicated and passionate about it, I will support you. Even if I don't agree with your choices, we can definitely talk about it and I can be reasonable. I know that you mom would feel the same also. She is the smartest and most logical person I have ever met, besides your dad of course! You will always have a great support system and no matter what happens, your mom and I will be in the crowd cheering for you and we will always be very proud of you. We love you.

It will all randomly work out,

DAD

4 comments:

Sir John of Harrington said...

Support is very important in raising a child. Maybe I'm not a parent, but as a child growing up, I sought for my parents' support. At times, I didn't get it, which made life more difficult for myself.

King of Hearts said...

=] now i REALLY hope your baby has a passion for yoga. just kidding. i'm glad you talked about this because i think this is something that kids always go through with their parents. parent either support what you wanna do or just tell you what they think you should do. I was lucky enough to have the former. Sounds like your kid will, too.

DFlem said...

My parents always were and still are so supportive of everything I do. They amaze me with how much they love me. It seems to me that your kid will grow up and feel about you the same way I feel about my parents. If your kid isn't turning out to be the "perfect kid," remember that people are constantly changing. He or she might become your best friend later in life. :-)

ntl said...

It will all randomly work out, unless it doesn't. Then I guess it randomly didn't. It's a weird little dichotomy. As is support from parents. Sometimes people who are coddled grow up without accountability. Sometimes people who have no support are the strongest and most determined. Nature, nurture, magic,... shrug :) I think it's important to give kids their space, be a guide and a friend, instead of a stringent policy-maker. I don't know, hopefully find out one day :)